Political Life ofA) As Mayor of Marihatag, Surigao del Sur, PhilippinesFIRST TERM: 1992 to 1995
Mayor Librado Cubil Navarro
LIBRADO CUBIL NAVARRO was elected Mayor by majority vote against the Political Icon then Incumbent Mayor Benedita Lago and former Mayor Lalo Alvizo.Accomplishments:
1. RESTORED PEACE AND ORDER in the Municipality
Marihatag was a former war-torn municipality where skirmishes between the NPA rebels and the Philippine Armed Forces were natural occurrences. Also, low morale, fear, distrust to government, and disunity were the feelings among the populace. Petty crimes were also rampant and disrespect to law and to local elected officials is prevalent.
a. Peace Zone Declaration of Barangay Mahaba
Barangay Mahaba was before a “No man’s Land” because of constant mass evacuation due to constant military and rebel encounters in the locality. The barangay people bravely re-occupied the barangay thru the encouragement and assurance of Mayor Navarro who personally marched with the people towards Barangay Mahaba. The Mayor in coordination with the Presidential Commission on Peace Process negotiated with the rebels and the AFP for cessation of hostilities. The barangay was then declared by the local government as PEACE ZONE (no entry to AFP and NPA). The national government acknowledged and respected the declaration. Peace was restored on the said barangay.
b. Barangay San Pedro and Barangay San Isidro were also a “No man’s Land” before due to peace and order problem. Mayor Navarro convinced the people to go back to their homes, till their farms and live normal lives. After 3 months of convincing, the people went back to their respective barangays.
c. The municipality experience zero crime rate on the last Two (2) years of his first term.
d. Illegal fishing was stopped as Mayor Navarro personally spearheaded the Bantay Dagat Patrol and make true the imprisonment of offenders caught illegally fishing in the municipal waters.
2. Initiated the OLYMPEACE – an annual inter-agency sports and cultural festival where the local government, the military and the national government agencies stationed in Marihatag can recreate, interact and mingle with the NGOs/Pos as well as the business and other professional sectors thereby creating a peaceful atmosphere in the locality.
3. Implemented Infrastructure Projects such as:
a. Completed the construction of Municipal Building (Municipal Hall was burnt by the NPA in 1988). The most beautiful municipal building in 1993.
b. Started the construction of the Municipal Gymnasium.
c. Constructed FVR type school buildings in barangays San Pedro, Mahaba, San Isidro and Poblacion thru its counterparting scheme with the TEEP/DEPED.
d. Encouraged and supported the organization of POs and NGOs among farmers and fisherfolks.
4. Established the Scholarship Program for the poor but deserving high students of Marihatag.
5. Restored people’s confidence and respect in the local government and encouraged people’s participation in local governance by involving them in the development processes in the locality (Problem identification, planning and mobilization)SECOND TERM: 1995 to 1998
MAYOR LIBRADO CUBIL NAVARRO ran unopposed during the May 1994 elections a testament of people’s confidence of his leadership.Accomplishments:
1. Constructed Farm-to-Market roads in remote barangays, namely:
a. Mahaba to Amontay – 8 kilometers
b. San Pedro to Mararag – 7 kilometers
c. Bayan to San Isidro – 6 kilometers
2. Strengthened the POs by: giving them livelihood projects: conducting capability building trainings: appointing them as members in special bodies of the local government and involving them in the developmental processes of their respective communities.
3. Sustained the Peace and Order situation in the municipality through peace talks/dialogues, seminars and other barangay Fora.
4. Established and expanded the Municipal Terminal and Public Market.
5. Institutionalized the annual OLYMPEACE.
6. Completed the Municipal Gymnasium in 1997. The most beautiful Gym in Surigao del Sur during that time.
7. In 1994, he was elected President of League of Municipalities of the Philippines-Surigao del Sur Chapter and was designated Senior Adviser to the National President of LMP.
8. In September 1-7, 1996, he was an LMP representative to a study-tour on Local Governance in Beijing, Tanzan and Hongkong, all of China.THIRD TERM: 1998 to 2001
MAYOR LIBRADO CUBIL NAVARRO won by over 600 vote-margin against his opponent (Efren Rivas, Jr.) during the May 1998 Election. The widest margin so far in the political history of Marihatag.Accomplishments:
1. Completed all farm-to-market roads in all barangays within the municipality:
a. Mararag to San Antonio – 6 kilometers
b. Mararag to Alegria – 4 kilometers
2. Established and developed the Municipal Tree Park and Beach Resort. Mayor Navarro transformed the 11-hectare idle land fronting the Umangon Island as one of the local tourist destination in Surigao del Sur. He initiated the planting of hardwood and fruit trees, established cottages, and converted said idle area into an income generating enterprise of the municipality. Presently it is now a venue for seminars, assemblies, parties and other small and big gatherings.
3. Sustained a relatively peaceful and orderly community.
4. Availed of the P18M loan-grant from the Department of Finance for the Community-Based Resource Management Project (CBRMP) of the Municipality.
5. Availed of the ARISP Project particularly finding assistance for Farm-to-Market road and irrigation.
6. Established Day Care Centers entire municipality. From One (1) Day Care Center, he added more than 20 Day Care Centers municipal-wide.
7. Worked for the creation of Two (2) Annex Agricultural High Schools in barangays Antipolo and Poblacion.
8. Elevated the municipality from 6th class status to 3rd class.
9. Established the Municipal Economic Enterprise and Cooperative Development Office (MEECDO) to help strengthen the People’s Organizations/Cooperatives and concentrate on the business aspect of the Municipality as Corporate Body.
10. Completed the concreting of Municipal Streets within the Poblacion Proper.
11. In 1998, he was elected for the second time as President of the League of Municipalities of the Philippines. He was also elected President of the Municipal Mayors of Mindanao Movement and National Vice President for Mindanao of the League of Municipalities of the Philippines. Likewise, he was a Member of the powerful Mindanao Development Council.
12. In November 2-9, 1998, he was sent to Tokyo & Kagoshima, Japan as LMP Delegate to a Study-Tour sponsored by the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR).B) As Vice-Governor of Surigao del Sur, Philippines (2001-2010)
1. Chairman: Sangguniang Panlalawigan Committee on Finance and Appropriation. Committee on Education, Member of Standing Committee
2. One of the few Vice Governor who actively participated in all Committee Members.
3. Active in League of Vice Governors of the Philippines as high ranking official of the organization.
4. Amahan sa pagkatukod sa Capitol of the South, sa Vice Governor Service Center sa Bislig City ug sa 2nd Provincial Engineering Office.
5. Nahiusa ug nalig-on ang konseho sa probinsya sa 3 ka termino tungod sa iyang liderato.
- Walay madungog nga bingkil o lalis
- Paspas ang pagpanday og balaodnon
- Demokratikong pagdumala sa konseho
- Consensus building
- Perfect session days conducted in 3 terms (1 session per week)
- Amahan sa ideya nga 2 ka sesyon sa District 1 og 2 ka sesyon sa District II
6. Ang maayo nga performance sa Pimentel Administration resulta sa maayo nga relasyon ug komunikasyon sa Exekutibo og Lehislatura. Tungod niini nakamugna og ubay-ubay nga proyekto/programa sama sa:
- Construction of the Capitol of the South Building including the Legislative Building. Office Spaces and Quarters.
- Construction of New Capitol Building
- On going Legislative Building
- Repair/Maintenance or Opening of farm-to-market road
- Municipal Street Lightings
- Pagsistematisa sa Alay sa Probinsya Scholarship Program
- Pag aprobar sa tinuig nga Annual Budget ug mga Supplemental Budget alang sa Social nga serbisyo sa tawo.
- Improvement of District Hospitals and Community Hospitals ug Distribution of free medicines and supplies.
- Pagpadali sa Construction sa National Highway
- Suporta sa mga districts, barangays, munisipyo ug syudad.
- Nag apod-apod og mga sporting goods sa mga purok, distrito ug barangays.
- Daghan pa.
7. Nakaapil og mga trainings ug pagtuon gawas sa nasud sama sa:
- Executive Short Couse on Poverty Alleviation, Urban Planning and Good Governance sa Bangkok, Thailand niadtong July 2004
- Local Administration and Development Program sa UP Diliman, Quezon City niadtong November-December 2006.
- Executive Short Course on Good Governance and Public Sector Reform sa New Zealand ug Australia niadtong August 2008.
- Executive Short Course on Governance and Sustainable Development sa Geneva, Switzerland niadtong June 2009.
8. Naka obserbar sa nagka lain-laing dagan sa paglambo ug pagdumala sa ubang lugar ug nasud:
- Sept 1997 – Beijing, Tianjin, Tansan sa China
- Nov 1998 – Tokyo og Kogushima Cities sa Japan
- Feb. 2002 – Thailand
- Mar. 2003 – Hongkong, Senzen, Macau
- July 2001 – Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand
- June 2009 – Birmingham, England
9. Direct Extension of Social Services (Non-Legislative)
A. Youth and Sports Development Program
a. Sports – conducted Annual Vice Governor’s Cup (Inter-School Secondary Basketball Tournament and Boxing Tournament)
a.1 Supported barangay, inter-purok, inter-fraternity sports activities
a.2 Citywide Sports Activities
b. Youth Development
b.1 Regularly supported Provincial Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Activities
b.2 Conducted/Supported Summer Youth Camps
b.3 Supported the youth Against the Destruction of Environment (YADE) – Bislig City
b.4 Conducted Leadership Seminar among SK Officials in the entire province.
a. Conducted Three (3) Blockbuster and successful Sing and Dance Competitions in Bislig City
b. Organized the Best Entertainers of Surigao del Sur Team (BESST) and initiated the conduct of BESST Concerts in selected areas of the province to showcase local talents.
c. Encouraged and supported the Caraga known Tanggapan ng Sangguniang Panlalawigan Choral of Surigao del Sur.
C. Health Services
a. Conducted Free Medical and Dental Clinics in almost all barangays of Bislig City and in almost all districts of Barangay Mangagoy.
b. Gave medical assistance to poor or indigent patients.
c. Conducted “Operation Tule”
a. Provided scholarship program to some poor but deserving students of Bislig City and other municipalities
b. Provided 15,0000 medals annually to outstanding students and parents in all schools of the province.
c. Provided financial support to some activities of schools/PICA
d. Gave lecture on Leadership and Good Governance Service Center in Bislig City
E. Created a Functional and Service-Oriented Vice Governor Service Center in Bislig City.
a. Health Services
b. Legal Services
c. Legislative Services
e. Funeral Assistance
f. Relief Center
g. Medical Assistance
F. Encouraged and Supported the activities of some PO/NGO, Clans, Religious Groups and other institutions such as:
a. Loving Presence Foundation, Inc.
b. Moreno Clan
c. Espiritu Clan
d. BHWs and Tanods
e. Rotary Clubs
G. Act as Resource Person or Speaker on topics about Leadership, Administration and Good Governance in some seminars and conferences within & outside the province.
H. Represent the Governor in some Regional or National Conference/Consultations.
I. Involved himself as member/officer of service-oriented organizations such as the Rotary Club of Bislig City and Tandag City and the Loving Presence Foundation, Inc.